Is it worth to pay 1200/Euro to participate in group show in Italy museum?

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thakur Dalip Singh
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Is it worth to pay 1200/Euro to participate in group show in Italy museum?
Apr 10, 2012
-- hide signature --

Is it worth to pay 1200/Euro to participate in group show exhibition in Italy, where my 3 pictures will be shown? I am from India. There is a CHIANCIANO ART MUSEUM http://www.museodarte.org/ museam in italy. They are holding conceptual art exhibition. Chianciano International Art Award, "The Art of the Mind" 15th - 22nd of September 2012. They want 100/ Euro for application processing, if not accepted then money will be refunded. If accepted they want then 1100/ i.e. total 1200 euros. They dont charge commission if your work sold. They do not insure also. They say we charge this fees for “Contribution-A contribution for participation covers the costs of the museum exhibition, the promotional campaigns, the collateral events and the full page on the printed as well as online catalogues: €1000 + 20% tax for artists who are approved to participate. Catalogue =All artists will have one full page in colour in the printed Biennale catalogue, which will also be kept available online for 2 years, it will be sent to galleries and museums all over the world. Collateral Events=There are many collateral events during the Award week, which range from lectures, individual video interviews with each participating artist, to parties, wine tasting and music. Please see the videos of the inauguration and the other collateral events from the Chianciano Award 2012” For “the promotional campaigns”, nothing is written in detail about the promotional campaigns plan of this year. When I enquired about details of the promotional campaigns, they sent me link of last year promotion http://www.museodarte.org/? q=press and wrote these lines= “ The promotion of the Chianciano International Art Award is extensive and is carried out in various media and forms. The marketing is on-line (last year we had about 190 million views of our online ads related to the exhibition), on art magazines (editorials and ads were published for the last edition in magazines such as "London Exclusive", "Absolute London" "Digital Artist", "Arte", magazines with tens of thousands of readers covering the USA, UK, and parts of Europe, as well as other leading publications). In relation to press, there are many online and printed editorials, please see the video I have attached. There is also the printed catalogue and online catalogue that remains on the Museum website indefinitely. There are also television advertisements that target Tuscany and the surrounding regions in Italy. To give you an idea, there are usually over 1,000 people present for the inauguration of the event alone”. Now, My work is selected but I am little reluctant to give remaining 1100/euro, because -it is group show and the promotional campaigns is for museum and all artists on the whole. Therefore I want you suggestion/ advise. Has any body participated in this exhibition or similar type exhibition ? What is your experience? I wrote to some of their past participants but no body replied. On the other hand I read these lines on net also which changed my my mind. http://www.nyfa.org/archive_detail_q.asp?type=6&qid=36&fid=6&year=2001&s=Winter http://www.artscams.com/resources.html “Beware of vanity galleries and publishers who charge artists to have their work included in an exhibition or publication. Vanity galleries charge exhibition fees for artists to exhibit their work, rather than commissions on sales. The fees can be very high and the galleries do not have an incentive to effectively promote your work since they make their money from exhibition fees, rather than sales of your art.” Another write up in photo.net “Three Tips to Help Your Photos Tell A Story” is also worth considering= http://photo.net/ columns/michael-freeman/three-tips-to-help-your-photos-tell-a-story/ “And beyond the type of gallery you show with, you also need to be very careful about the kind of show where you allow your artwork to be displayed. Be very wary of group shows of any kind, and avoid them if at all possible. A group show is a gallery’s way of trying to get as many people through the doors or to their website as possible by essentially hedging their bets. If you host a show with two artists, you are depending on the market for two artists. If you are hosting a show with 40 artists, you’re dipping into a much larger buyer pool and have a far greater chance of selling the majority of the show. As a gallery owner, a group show is a great way to add new buyers to your list, try out working with artists you haven’t made up your mind about yet, and generally increase the profile of your gallery. To an artist, they are 99 percent worthless. "
Please advise.
THAKUR DALIP SINGH

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow