Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CaptainObvious
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
D800 focus issues: Return, or repair?
Apr 10, 2012

I've determined that there are significant variations between different focus points in my camera. I have the option of returning the camera by the end of the day with no financial consequence. So I'm left with the decision of returning the camera, or paying for the shipping/insurance for Nikon to make my new camera right.

It sounds like the most likely explanation is that the focus bank is tilted and may simply need re-adjustment (or adjustment, as it was never done right). I don't believe there is anyway it could be an engineering mistake. I wish I had more time to establish if the left sensors vs right sensors front vs back focus. That would probably test the tilted sensor plane theory.

If I return the camera, there is NO risk to me. I simply have to wait months to receive a new camera. That's a bummer, but I don't use my camera for business. And frankly, none of the lenses I want are available in the supply chain right now anyway. But this is the camera that I want, and it is excellent in all other regards.

If I send the camera in, I put my camera's fate in the hands of Nikon repair services.

How many people have sent their cameras into Nikon for issues of this sort of nature, and were the results satisfactory? I recall reading a lot of D7000 threads and it seemed hit or miss.

One of the things that gives me serious pause in regards to sending the camera in for repair is Nikon's recent anti-consumer, anti-partner decision to stop selling parts to independent repair shops. At this point I'm not sure I'm dealing with a company I can trust, as that news was broken by the President of Nikon USA. I feel that if they run into any difficulty with my camera, they'll just deny there is a problem and say it performs within specs.

It is truly unfortunate that Nikon has decided to offload QA testing to the consumer...

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow