Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,744Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?
In reply to cinemascope, Apr 10, 2012

I gave a lot of thought to getting a camera for my girlfriend a couple of years ago. She, too, greatly values her photography but is impatient with learning the camera technology. I arrived at the then-current superzoom, the Panasonic FZ-35. Although obviously larger than the Samsung, it is very light, image quality is on par with the EX1, the aperture when shooting wide (which you would do indoors) is adequate, and it opens up a world of shooting not possible with the EX1 due to its much longer lens on the long end. I'd buy her the Panasonic equivalent today, assuming similar specs for sensor and wide end of the lens. She's still incredibly happy with this 2009 Panasonic.

I would never have given her the EX1. Although I use it all the time, I don't mind finding workarounds for all its frustrating user interface shortcomings and quirks, and I carry a m4/3 camera with telephoto zoom for long shots. She would have found it quite frustrating. Also, I find the JPEG output inferior to many other cameras -- way overprocessed -- and that is not the case with the Panasonics I have used.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow