Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445Gear list
Like?
First disappointment with the X-Pro1
Apr 10, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I love this camera for certain subjects. But for others, it leaves much to be desired.

I shot a dance / vocal performance this afternoon. I have shot many many similar events in the same location, with the same lighting with my 1D MKIV. The Canon worked fast and accurately and gave me 90-95% keeper rate. The X-Pro1 was not up for the task. I shot with the 60mm exposing completely manually. I left the aperture wide open, as the shutter speed was the more important to me. With my Canon I can adjust shutter speed and aperture very quickly with my forefinger and thumb without ever taking my eye away from the viewfinder. With the X-Pro1 it is a little slower to adjust aperture with my left hand and shutter speed with thumb and forefinger of my right hand. I suppose with more practice it will get a bit faster, but for now I felt handicapped. From shot to shot it felt very slow. The 1D MKIV is ready when I am and fires fractions of a second after I have made a decision. The X-Pro1 missed many shots while it tried to lock focus. I know the 35mm is faster, but still too slow to look through the viewfinder and catch fast fleeting unpredictable actions. The AF missed quite a few too. Strange, as many shots were blank background and performer. The shots look like it focused at infinity.

I'll keep trying, but in all likelihood, I will not be using this camera for dance unless it is my only choice.

Now I know it is not fair to put a "rangefinder like" camera against a flagship Canon. But I do for image quality and the X-Pro1 is right there.

I would have ended up with 100 or so good shots with the Canon and instead got around 10.

Did a night market and had a similar experience. I know I'll get faster, but for now, it is slow and I am frustrated that I am missing some shots.

Most of the good shots I have seen with the camera are still or predictable action.

Here's a few good ones:

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow