ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Choosing the 5D mark iii over the D800
Apr 10, 2012

This is my second thread hinting at/asking advice for my coming decision

I want to re-enter the world of FF DSLRs for certain things, mainly landscape, architecture and portraits.

Last time my post, a few weeks ago, was asking for advice in this forum between these cameras.
Surprising an overwhelming number of people advised me to get the D800 :-S

I therefore wanted to test the water again as I am, against advice, swinging towards the 5D mark iii

The D800 has an advantage in three areas (only the first is of major significance):

1: Pixel count. For me, contrary to the myths spread, is mainly useful for cropping and for people pictures. I don't believe this is a tangeable benefit to landscapes.
2: Better control ergonomics (more, and well placed, dials).

3: Cheaper. Although the cost thing is a bit of a red herring. Everyone with any experience here knows that camera prices after 6 months bear no relation to RRP, merely to the market level.

The 5D Mark iii has advantages in the following areas:

1: Speed. A combination of FPS and speed of operation. I have tried the mark iii and it feels a difference world of responsiveness from the mark ii - all those who say the mark ii is "good enough" for them better not try the mark iii, best you guys don't know

2: Focus. Reviews by pros consistently give the mark iii a lead over the D800. Perhaps this will be corrected in software later but my own experience of the mark iii is very encouraging.

3: Handling ergonomics. Hands down the mark iii grip and feeling is better then the D800. Not to mention that it is lighter

4: Lenses. Not that much in it but 24mm, 50mm and 85mm being my goto focal lengths I believe the Canon system has the edge.
5: Canon colours. D800 still has those family skin tone and saturation traits

What about problems ? Some mark iii angst about light leaks which has yet to have any proven effect on anything and any proof that its either unique, or an issue

more serious with the D800:
1. CLS malfunction
2. Batches of LCDs with colour problems
3. Batches of AF systems with bank malfunctions

all these things, together with slightly more trust in Canon's distribution and support network, are tilting me towards the mark iii

Make sense. Do I sound sane ? I need to make a decision pretty soon

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow