Video recording with Nikon D4

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Video recording with Nikon D4
In reply to bernie, Apr 10, 2012

bernie wrote:

I read the following" HDMI output will work simultaneously with the Live View LCD, provided you don’t record to CF/XQD media". Does this mean if I attach a EVF unit to HDMI and don't activate live view will it record to card.Also read if one wants to attach an Atomos Ninja recorder and Zfinder EVF unit together one would need a HDMI splitter for it to work.
Any feedback please as I hope to get the D4 and accessories .

Not sure about your first question. I don't understand why it wouldn't work as many DSLR videographers use HDMI field monitors, and record to internal card, which until the D4 and D800 was the only way to record period. Seems not being able to record to CF/XQD card while using an HDMI monitor is a heavy limitation.

There is this video that may help shed some light as it demos the Atomos Ninja with the D4 using both the Ninjas LCD and the D4 LCD.

Start at 2:41 for Ninja stuff, and earlier in video is a Zacuto EVF demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PEzO6hLcWk

Atomos Ninja and Zacuto EVF w/ AF100 (the guy in the video uses an HDMI splitter made by SmallHD. See YouTube link below). The Ninja LCD is a good size 4.3" so you might be able to focus with it, even without some kind of loupe. I read the Atomos is going to add Focus Peaking to the Ninja (if in a firmware or new model, I don't know) but that's going to make it even more awesome than it already is. By the way, how great is it that it was Nikon who created the first DSLR with clean HDMI out? The D4 and D800 cameras are tailor made for Ninja use.

Ninja w/ Zacuto EVF video demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAt8BvyA0_w

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow