Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
cinemascope
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: Is the EX1/TL500 OK for my tech-clumsy mother?
In reply to geroyche, Apr 10, 2012

Thanks geroyche. We seem to be on the same wavelength.

There are pros and cons and most here seem very concerned with the cons... not that that is a bad thing... it's good to hear all opinions and that's why I am asking for help... but there are reasons I am considering the EX1, and most don't seem to weigh that in.

Perhaps I should have made it more clear that she really enjoys photography. She has always had some sort of camera throughout most of her life, and she was always the one taking the snapshots at our family events, and on trips while we were growing up and such. She was also a model in her teens, and I guess that also played a part in her interest in photography. Her older brother also had an SLR in the 60's, so she has always been exposed to photography one way or another. These days she very actively likes to share photos with people on the Internet, and she really cherishes her ever growing photo collection - not just the one she takes, but also the ones that people send her. It's just that she is clumsy with tech, but the interest is there and she manages to get by.

So, yes, I think she would appreciate a nice sturdy camera. The EX1 seems to ooze quality and seems like a nice gift, something meant to last for a few years. But of course, no point in it looking nice if one cannot use it well. I did have a look at Canon, more specifically the 310HS, mostly because of the 24mm f2.0 lens and friendly touch screen. But most reviewers say the camera only looks good on paper, and that the lens is quite crappy. I have looked at samples and they looked very washed and quite terrible. So at the moment, I'm thinking, OK, Canon might be easy to use, but where is the quality?

So I have not given up on it yet, although the opinions here seem mostly against it. I guess it would still be nice to hear more about others' experience in using Auto. Someone said it overexposes, but if ones leaves it at some negative EV, does that not fix it?

Also, how about video quality? The only sample I found was quite crappy. Anyone with a couple of samples to share? I know it's only VGA, but I was hoping that despite being small resolution, that the quality would be at least OK.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow