Another newbie needing advice.

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,824Gear list
Like?
Re: Another newbie needing advice.
In reply to Jimbo15, Apr 10, 2012

Jimbo15 wrote:

So I'm looking for a digital video camera, I don't have any interests in still photography.

This is a still picture site; anything you find out about video is pretty random.

I've done animated shorts and am decent editor and wanted to get outside and just take some shots.

The Canon EOS Rebel XS DSLR has poped up a lot during research but I don't know if I need this much camera over a $200 1080P Camcorder off the shelf at Bestbuy.

You would find it much nastier to use. For example, it won't autofocus.

My head tells me anything hi def should cover most of my needs but I know it's usually not that simple.

Here's what I like to film.

Protests, Documentary, outdoor events, journalistic interviews and and personal vlogs.

What I would like

Decent picture quality, I just don't want a grainy webcam thing going on.

Easy transfer of my footage to PC

External mic Jack / Or decent on board Audio. Legible audio trumps picture quality

Decent battery life 1-2 hours

I have a Canon Vixia HF S20 (this model is apparently obsolete). It works very well in most situations. Video quality is excellent, even in poor light. It has stereo mikes that do a very adequate job; if they aren't enough, it takes boom mikes and has an audio input plug. It comes with a battery that goes about an hour and a half but you can get bigger ones that are supposed to last more than 3 hours.

That's it, I may be over thinking it. I'd love to run out and buy $2000 dollar prosumer because I do want to shoot fiction/movies as well but I am tired of procrastinating and want to scratch the itch while I save up for better equipment after I get my feet wet.

I think there are a bunch of pretty good camcorders; I doubt that I have the best one, or even an unusually good one but it's quite good enough for anything I do.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow