Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarinoDiMare
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Question about atmosphere for wildlife photogs
Apr 9, 2012

Yesterday, I went for a hike and brought my a500, 70400G plus tripod, to shoot me some birds. For some reason, I was very unhappy with the results. They seemed muddied and unsharp, whereas I've been able to get much better results from the same combo, even with a monopod. I've been breaking my head over what I've done different, but ISO, for example, was at 800 in both cases. Now I did shoot at larger distances then in my usual hunting ground (but only on average), but I'd guess the higher shutter speeds (I usually shoot in a forest, this was semi-open terrain and wetlands) and the use of a tripod rather then a monopod should compensate - at least a bit. Furthermore, it didn't look like motion blur in all cases.

Now I just remember that on my way there, from the car, I noticed mirage effects on the asphalt, which I take to mean that the atmosphere is restless. Could that have effected my pictures, too? That, plus the fact that I shot mostly in wetland area, where (on a sunny day like yesterday) the air might be a tad more humid? How much do you take into account the atmospheric conditions when you decide to go out and shoot?

If you'd like to see some examples, please compare the two 'birds' galleries here: bmveer.smugmug.com/Animals. The one called 'Leidse Hout' is either handheld (first half) or with monopod, the one called 'OostvaardersPasen' was shot yesterday.

Thanks!

MarinoDiMare's gear list:MarinoDiMare's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow