ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alexandros Trichos
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
350D/Rebel XT Upgrade Thoughts
Apr 9, 2012

Hello there!

I am a very happy owner of a 350d/RebelXT since 2005 and I think the time has come for me to upgrade. The Rebel was a wonderful companion to my photographic journeys all these years but I think it has nothing more to offer. It is about to physically tear apart anyway so...

I would like to share my thoughts with you, as I am troubling my mind sometime now without any decision and of course ask for your opinion, thoughts and why not some guidance from any experienced users out there.

To start I will present you all (?) the alternatives I have as of now:

a)Buy the 7D now
b)Buy the 5D II now
c)Buy the 5D3 now
d)Wait for a 7D II (70D or 7D replacement anyway)
e)Sell all my glass and jump over the D800 train to start over (ouch!)
f)Wait for ... whatever

Before start talking about each one of my alternatives a couple of words regarding my equipment and my shooting preferences:

I own the EF 24-105 F4/L IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.4 USM, EF 70-200 F/4 L USM, EF 100mm F/2.8 L IS USM Macro and the crappy kit lens EF-S 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 USM II.

What I mostly shoot? Landscapes, Macro and closeups, Portraits and head-shots,
still life and I rally love indoors and shooting in available light.

Some random thoughts now...

As I am about to step up I ve better go full frame 'cause I love having top IQ, right?
but...

That means that I am willing to pay 2k in the mid 2012 for an outdated product with crappy AF (5DII) or pay 3,5k for a negligible product with top notch AF but not much IQ improvement over 5DII (5DIII) or sell everything and change brand (D800)...

So for each of the alternatives my thoughts.

a)Very good camera with tempting price and relatively good IQ.

My concerns: not a full frame camera so not a true step up and the fact that it approaches the end of it's life cycle sometime soon. I don't like buying a product only to be replaced in a couple of months.

b)Superb IQ and FF. Otherwise outdated and poor poor AF. Could easily have been discontinued but Canon thought it would be a good idea to keep it in the lineup.

c)Superb IQ, top AF but really no other improvements over the 5DII. Even in the high ISOs it's power is in the Noise Reduction and not in really good sensor performance. So why bother over the Mark II? Other than that it is rather pricy but let's pretend this is not an issue.

d)That would be interesting if only I was certain that a new one was coming sometime in Summer. My only concern that I wouldn't go Full Frame.

e)I cannot tell they I am not tempted! If I could find a way to use my lenses in the D800 that would be a no-brainer for me! But I can't. So selling everything and starting over costs a lot. But that is the 5d markIII that I've been waiting for...

f) Well ... I don't know !

That was it ! waiting your thoughts !!!!

Thanks a lot guys !

Alexandros Trichos's gear list:Alexandros Trichos's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow