Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hugh Paterson
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
Using the SB-N5 for fill-flash with the Nikon V1
Apr 9, 2012

I picked up the dedicated SB-N5 flash unit for my V1 a couple of days ago. Whilst being delighted with its tiny size and versatility, I'm struggling to figure out how best to use it for fill-in flash.

With the camera in "Aperture priority auto" exposure mode, and the flash set to "fill flash" and "TTL" modes, I had expected that the camera's exposure would remain unchanged, with the flash merely producing enough light to reduce unwanted shadows in the main subject. Instead, the camera locks the shutter at 1/60 sec and pushes the ISO up to the preset maximum - not what I anticipated at all! To make matters worse, if the flash is unable to produce enough light to compensate for the imposed change in shutter speed, the image is simply underexposed without any prior warning that this would happen.

I had hoped that a dedicated flash unit like the SB-N5 would be more or less fool-proof in operation - but it seems to have a mind of its own. The coverage of the flash unit in the V1 manual is so sparse, that its hard to figure out how the programmers' minds were working when they devised the firmware for the flash unit.
Any advice welcome!

Hugh Paterson's gear list:Hugh Paterson's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R DxO Optics Pro Standard
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow