Another DIF thread - what can be improved?

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peierls
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Another DIF thread - what can be improved?
Apr 9, 2012

I was considering asking about it in the other DIF (dogs-in-flight) thread, but then understood that my problems are slightly different, so here we go :-).

There is a greyhound racing stadium not that far from my home, where I've never been before, until I learned that for a modest entrance fee you can take pictures of dogs to your heart's content (flash is not allowed). I went there last weekend and below are the 7 best shots (out of 150 or so ;-)). Racing is in the evening, and even though artificial lighting looks pretty bright, going to 1/1000 shutter speed required me to shoot with ISO 6400 pretty much all the time while keeping the lens (70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM) wide-open. All shots were done by panning, with continuous mode on, AF set to Servo, and IS on the lens set to mode 2 (panning mode). These things are so fast though, that even tracking them for more than a couple of seconds is a challenge, and when they run in a bunch, AF lands pretty much randomly.

In other words, it provides plenty of challenge :-), and so far I'm not really satisfied with the result, so any advice on how to improve sharpness and overall quality would be welcome. Things I plan to try in the future:

1. Manually pre-focus on the middle of the track and shoot without panning at fastest shutter speed feasible.

2. Decrease the shutter speed even further (will require a faster lens, I'm afraid).

3. Video with some fast prime, at least during start it should look very good (but then small DoF might spoil it).

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow