Love my A77... but the lens selection is weak

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
dresner
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: Love my A77... but the lens selection is weak
In reply to OntarioJohn, Apr 9, 2012

We are on the same page ... I don't need a lot of lenses. I just want a few lenses that I will be happy with. Lenses that will perform well under various conditions. I want to have long terms investments. I love my A77 for example, but I'm not impressed with the indoor pics. Outdoor are fantastic. Even indoor with plenty of light. I am currently testing it extensively with various settings on and off DRO, HDR, without, output to RAW and JPEG and then processing in Dx0 and Lightroom to test. Unless the firmware updates improve the noise, i can't see this being my long term hold.

The more I look at the available lenses, comparing features and performance, build quality, the more I'm looking at Canon. I feel like it's a safer all around long term investment. For example, if I wanted to spend a lot more than I'm planning to spend...but maybe one day will, the Sony 70-200 2.8 is a lesser lens compared to the Canon and Nikon equivalent. The Sony isn't even weather sealed.

I"ll get the Sony 18-250 for now, for travel. That way I'm covered from 16 to 250. I would say from 16-50 really well with the kit lens from my A77. Maybe sell the whole setup in a year or so and change to Nikon or Canon if Sony doesn't make good on their words to get serious about this segment. If Sony updates their lenses to the same quality as the 16-50, I would start buying glass tomorrow and live with low light noise. I live in a wet place, weather resistant is a must for me.

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow