How is Manual focus pulling on Sony lenses?

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
Re: The intended use is with fs100 and fs700
In reply to Gionni Dorelli, Apr 9, 2012

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

Thank you for the answers to everyone.

The intended use is with fs100 and fs700.

Of course the cp lenses would be a no brainier, since they are built specifically for cinema and manual focus. But for most of my productions on a budget sometimes they are too expensive even to rent. I use them for time to time.

I was thinking of using my alpha Sony and Zeiss and I was hoping someone had used them already in manual focus with a focus puller.

I had forgot that the nex lenses have an electronic motor like the Canon L, therefore they are not suitable for manual use repeating focus.

a mount lenses have a very narrow grip area and short travel distance, but the focus range is marked. You likely loose OS, only older Minolta and Sigma lenses may have OS.

e mount lenses focus 'by wire' and have both a decent grip area and long travel distance. They are easier to use in MF mode, and also support DMF mode.

As to focus pullers, the e mount MF appears to be both non-linear and non repeatable/predictable. The response to input seems to depend on lens position (zoom and focus levels).

If OSS is not needed, consider legacy lenses? They are the easiest in MF mode.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow