Macro: How to get closer than with close-up adapter 250D ?

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,240Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro: How to get closer than with close-up adapter 250D ?
In reply to h2k, Apr 9, 2012

h2k wrote:

Hi, for macros i use the close-up lens Canon 250D with its good optical quality. I put it onto the Pana 14-45, a legacy Nikon 1,8/50 and i also used it nicely on a borrowed Oly 9-18; my cam is a Pana G2 for now.

But the 250D close-up lens doesn’t always get me as close I’d like; for instance, i’d love a tiny flower seedling fill the full frame.

I am aware that there are native M43 native macro lenses like 45/2,8 and Oly’s upcoming 60/2,8. I could also try a retro ring (attaching the lens’s front end to the camera body).

But for now i’d like an adapter for my existing lenses. I understand the Canon 500D close-up lens is only for tele lenses? Would the new Kenko rings (between lens and body, disabling AF, but with AF confirmation) bring me closer than the 250D? Could i put the Kenko-rings onto the Nikon adapter? Are there other hi-quality lenses bringing me closer than the 250D (available in Europe at reputable dealers)?

Thanks for all real-life experiences, especially in comparison with the 250D!

I use the Marumi Achromat DHG 200 Achromat. As the number suggests, it focuses down to 200mm (I suspect that your Canon goes to 250mm).

Some pix, all from the Marumi mounted on the 40-150 ED:

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow