Difference between F and FA lenses?

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: Difference between F and FA lenses?
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 9, 2012

According to that unlinkable site, both are 6 blade.

Thanks for the suggestion for the Sigma 50 2.8 Macro, but I definitely need larger apertures in these ranges. At the somewhat long end, I've eyed the Sigma 85 1.4 and then the 100 2.8 WR Macro. The rest will almost certainly be handled by a 70-200 Tamron.

Russell Evans wrote:

snake_b wrote:

Ahhh, I thought it would be the other way around, that the F versions would be cheaper, especially since they may not be the nicest looking lens bodies out there.

The F bodies are a little smaller and I think better looking than the FA lenses. The FA lens has 8 aperture blades to the F lens' six.

I'm choosing to get either the FA or F 50 1.7 based on the fact that it's said to be much sharper than the 1.4 is at comparable apertures. Even though it's a half stop slower, it's a reasonable tradeoff. when used with a K5, especially for concert photography.

I have a FA 50mm f1.4 (bought new) and had a F 50mm f1.7(bought used). I never really thought the f1.7 was better. I'm personally waiting for the DA 50mm f1.8 and will buy it if the price is not crazy.

If you can live without the wider apertures, I would suggest the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro at $369. It has a focus limiter, so AF isn't handicapped by the macro extension, and is a very sharp lens. It is FF so you can use a 55-49mm step down ring for filters. I was planning to go with the Sigma, but bought a used FA 50mm f2.8 macro for less than the going price of the Sigma way back when. I then bought the FA 50mm f1.4 right before the first price hike that took it out of the $199 pricing.

One of the advantages of reading the forum is that sometimes someone will give a heads up before a price increase. At that time it was Europe that got the price increases first, and after a few days/weeks, I think Canada got it, so I assumed the US would follow shortly, and bought the FA 50mm f1.4. It is funny, I remember a lot of Europeans complaining about the price increase there and I only remember the people in the US offering names of stores in the US to buy from that would ship internationally. I think there was a lot of "that sucks" posts from the US posters as well as that's about all we could do for them. Sure seems a different echo coming from Europe on the latest price increase here though. I guess it is a cultural thing?

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow