Consider this before your Large Format Printer purchase !

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
connery736
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Consider this before your Large Format Printer purchase !
Apr 9, 2012

It was January 2011 when I placed my order for my Epson 7890 printer. It finally arrived in early February and I could barley wait to get it up and running. After a short period of time I was churning out gallery quality prints that would easily be the envy of any Pro Lab in the country. Several months later the 7890 jammed on a piece of cut Epson media and it took forever and a day to clear the clog via the head cleaning cycle which Epson recommends. Coincidentally the amount of ink that I wasted during this process could have feed a third world country and supplied every living person season tickets at Yankee stadium but ahh yes that is another story. After loading my printer with a new set of Epson cartridges I noticed my prints were coming out discernibly darker as if they were two stops under exposed. Mind you, I had made hundreds of prints from the same image files with highly repeatable results. After more time and effort than I care to admit I was totally stumped, as there was no logical reason this should have been happening as the nozzle checks looked fine. I called Epson’s toll free support, surely they would present some pearls of wisdom that would save the day and solve my dilemma.

Instead I was connected to some condescending twip that suggested I reinstall the Epson driver, take two aspirins and call it a day. I must say before I proceed with my tale of woe, I am reminded of that scene from Stranger Than Fiction where Dustin Hoffman exclaims that famous line “Little did he know”.

Little did I know the carnage, trials and tribulations that awaited me dashed with a strong peppering of ineptitude of the likes I have seldom seen. Epson’s contracted service technicians from Decision One were dispatched; surly they would save the day and ascertain the problem?

Once again that bugger “Little did he know” arrived along with the Service Technician from Decision One. For starters these techs have no knowledge of photo printing what so ever, in fact they would not know an F stop from a bus stop. After several hours of doodling around the technician deemed the printer repaired and went about his way back to Santa’s workshop, or maybe it was Oz? Technically it mattered little to me as my Epson 7890 was far from repaired. Four times Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb arrived at my office plunked around with my printer and deemed the printer fine and dandy. But all was not well in whoville, my 7890 was still not working properly. The Decision One techs repeatably reported to Epson that my work flow was in fact the problem and the printer was indeed working properly. I only discovered this by calling Epson in an effort to make them aware my printer still had problems. Mr. Brown from Epson told me the case file was in fact closed by the Decision One service techs. Little did they know they were dealing with one ticked off marine. After a heated conversation, it was agreed upon that I would send a nozzle check print out from my printer, samples of my images outputted on an associates 7890 and a cd disk containing the same images. I cannot understand how a company can use a business model that immediately blames the customer as a matter of policy. Two days later I received a call from Mr Brown, it turns out the light light black printout appeared to be darker than it should. I said, Dude I am using your cartridges! I was asked to confirm the correct cartridge was in the right slot and in fact it was. I was then told the wrong ink had gone into the wrong cartridge on the factory level, in fact this had happened before! Another meaningful exchange occurred over the phone and a follow up certified letter from yours truly. Little did I know, once again the Decision One techs were dispatched to drain my printer and replace the ink as the final solution to the problem.

During Decision One’s last visit which drained and replaced the ink in my 7890 another odd occurrence happened. My printer refused to accept the new cartridges Epson sent. It seems there is a structural flaw in the frame of the 7890 which results in the contacts from the cartridges not making the correct contact with the sensors in the printer. If one moves the printer by holding by the bottom of the frame, this serious problem can occur. An associate of mine who just purchased a brand new Epson 7890 needed to have the Decision One techs come out to his office because of problems with the printer not accepting new Epson cartridges with in the first two weeks of ownership. Bottom line I love the output of this printer however Epson as a company obviously leaves much to be desired. Would I purchase another Epson product in the future? Probably not, you be the judge : )

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow