Zeiss 100 f/2 Vs. Nikon 85 f/1.4G on D800

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Re: Zeiss 100 f/2 Vs. Nikon 85 f/1.4G on D800
In reply to junooni, Apr 9, 2012

junooni wrote:

Hi Folks, I am a new D800 owner and I am contemplating buying a Zeiss 100 f/2 ZF.2 manual focus lens versus the Nikon 85 1.4G for doing portrait (and some macro) work. I am also considering a nikon 70-200 VR-ii to round things out. They are all awesome but my budget it limited.

If you guys have experience with both these lenses, then I would love to hear your advice.

The 85 won't do any macro, so it's not really a choice. The 100 will get you to 1:2, or 1:1 with an old Nikon 1:1 adapter... I have both, very different purposes. If you shoot people more and would benefit from AF, just get the 85.

On the other hand, it sounds like you think you can afford 2 out of 3 but not all three... I think the obvious 2 combo would be the zoom and the 100, just because it would cover more bases. You'd be foregoing the unique awesomeness of the 85/1.4G for a while until you are able to splurge again.

The main problem with your question is that none of these is a substitute for any of the others... which is why I keep all three around. I think all three of these are obvious keepers for a moderately sized kit.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow