D800 with only 2 lenses combination

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hiker Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
Re: D800 with only 2 lenses combination
In reply to Zane Paxton, Apr 9, 2012

Zane Paxton wrote:

For traveling and vacations lightweight is important, very important. What you need is a "walk around" lens. The 24-70mm is excellent. Many swear by the 24-120mm VR f/4. I have the 16-85mm VR on my D7000 and it is glued on the front of that DX camera. I traveled to Europe last year and went with only that one lens and didn't really ever need anything else. The 24-120mm is roughly similar.

Having VR for traveling where you shoot hand-held is VERY useful, so look carefully at the 24-120mm f/4 VR. Being able to crank up the ISO +VR would be a great combo particularly for those indoor shots without flash. Ultimately you need to choose between uber high quality and convenience/ease of use. Usually for travel/vacation/family usage the one-lens "do it all" can be a solid choice.

VR is definitely something I am thinking about. I am in a similar situation as Desmond, also looking to move from DX to the D800. I already have a 70-200, looking at other lens options.

Tied to the whole "best walk around lens" is the fact that I am (generally) anti-tripod, and at most use a monopod while hiking the mountains in Colorado. Am concerned that the lack of rock solid support is going to negate the value of a 24-70, and that I should instead invest in a VRII type lens. Lightweight is also a good thing, as I have to admit to getting older, and at the end of a 16 mile hike, small amounts of weight seem to add up. But if handheld D800 doesn't give me good results regardless of lense, perhaps I should be looking at the D400 or something.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow