G1X slow for flash

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X external flash.
In reply to puttin, Apr 9, 2012

puttin wrote:

I used it with an external flash and man is it slow. It caused me to miss a lot of shots of a Elvis performer. The IQ is great but the shutter lag is very slow using flash, maybe it is better with the onboard flash

I have mentioned this in an earlier thread when the G1X first came out. The delay is something like this:

• 1 Second to acquire target.

• 1 Second to detonate the flash.

For still-life subjects this is more than adequate.

But for moving objects like cats, it is very frustrating. The more expensive and recent external flashes work a little faster than the older series.

If you are hand-holding the camera for a Macro shot using an external flash, 2 seconds is a long time and you might lose the focus on the area you were targeting. So far, this has not been a problem with me doing just that, but I wonder about others with less steady hands in relation to handheld Macros.

• Onboard flash is faster.

There's definitely a lag. It's probably closer to 1.5 seconds if you haven't already half depressed the shutter release button. It's about 1 second if you have locked the focus.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow