Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,274Gear list
Like?
OM-D vs. E-xxx = frustration
Apr 9, 2012

I rode the wave of excitement over the OM-D with many others. My first impressions were all positive, small weather-sealed alloy body with a new sensor that excels in low light, 3" tilt OLED, built-in EVF, 5-axis IBIS, etc.

But now that I've had time to weigh it all I can't avoid concluding that Olympus small-body DSLR users have again been provided an answer to a need we never had.

I am still using my E-510 and E-620 with a variety of 4/3's lenses. To this I've added an E-PM1 as a take-anywhere and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I also purchased a 4/3's lens adapter and have used my existing lenses on it with some degree of success.

But my need is for an upgrade path to my DSLR's at an affordable price point. Such an upgrade should offer the convenience of a fully articulated LCD, an OVF that shows me what I'm actually seeing, a built-in flash, an IBIS system that performs well, PDAF that allows for shooting fast action/BIF and the ability to fine-tune AF to match my lenses. All features the E-620 has at a price under $700.

To this it should add a modern 16MP sensor that excels in low light, an updated processor to match its capabilities, an OVF that provides a larger viewing size. It should also generally maintain the E-620's overall size, which I found to be the practical minimum for handling larger lenses comfortably.

It should not add weather sealing or an alloy body, both which add cost while providing no true benefits in performance.

Instead we have the OM-D, a $1000 body that can't shoot fast action/BIF, can't AF quickly with the wonderful range of 4/3's lenses, is too small to serve as a comfortable platform for many of the same, downgrades the E-620's fully articulated display to a tilt display and offers no built-in flash.

Its frustrating because even my little E-PM1 offers an improved sensor over my DSLR's, but it doesn't perform all the other functions I enjoy with them. I feel like Olympus is chasing its tail. So for now I continue to stay on the sidelines, no hurry given the equipment I have which still works fine.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Jim.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow