5DIII vs 5DII (an unbiased RAW workflow comparison) - lots os samples!

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bronze Age Man
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Comment on methodology & thinking!
In reply to David Cheok Photography, Apr 8, 2012

The chart results for the TS-E 90 mm are impressive however my copy of that lens is sharp in the middle at f2.8, the corners are not bad but improve noticeably at f3.2.

After that it is just sharp. I have a 100 mm f2.0 that I have compared at f2.8 to the TS-E 90 mm and it is just as sharp with better colours and contrast.

To those hung up on the 'newer design' and L badge lenses, you are missing out!

The rear element of the TS-E is a long way from the sensor so the light incident on the sensor is somewhat parallel. The TS-E 45 mm is not remarkable optically, they could not badge them both L so neither is, (my guess). The 100 mm f2.0 is simply stunning for the price.

The point of the test is to seek differences in the sensors so using any lens wide open is foolish. Using the same lens at it's peak aperture eliminates the lens from the equation.

As to the comments on different sharpening, over sharpening & treatment, these add variables and need to be fixed for testing purposes. As the original poster actually prints his pictures large he will be used to over sharpening to achieve the best print.

I make two copies of a file, one for large prints, one for screen; each have different sharpening.

Will any differences show up in a large print after tweaks, interpolation & sharpening?

It seems very unlikely. To those people who obsess over the pixels of a 6 foot wide photograph on a 24 inch screen I say get a life AND a 24 inch wide printer! You can buy narrow rolls & use sheet stock to make smaller prints so don't be put off by it's size!

I commend the OP for his effort and his view point. At the end of the day any upgrade you invest in has to make a worthwhile difference to your photography.

-- hide signature --

Appreciative student of the late Joan Wakelin. 39+ years later still enjoying it!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow