The reason Sony did not include tethering...

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662Gear list
Like?
Re: The reason Sony did not include tethering...
In reply to ArmandN, Apr 8, 2012

ArmandN wrote:

... must be the Eye-Fi card.

Unfortunately, Sony might internally see tethering as competing with their security cameras, which it wouldn't. Beyond that, Sony's default behavior has long been to lock things up nearly as tightly as Apple does. The irony here is that all Sony's latest cameras are running Linux, so secure camera apps and full tethered remote control would be a piece of cake to implement.

I think Sony is really missing a huge opportunity here. People like me have been developing stuff with CHDK for years, but there is so much more that we could do with the Sony cameras and an officially supported software interface. The camera market is shrinking, being killed by cell phones. However, I think the programmable and tethered camera market is on the verge of explosive growth; it's just waiting for the right software interface. A NEX with that interface would own the new market.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow