Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,323Gear list
Like?
D800 AF: (contd.)
Apr 8, 2012

The D800 AF issue thread is full, so I am starting this new one.

There is another thread on why fine tuning AF matters more on the D800, but I am starting this thread as people may miss that thread and as a placeholder to point people there:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41153657

IMHO and with all due respect I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves and worrying about the outer AF points too much without first making sure that our lens is not front/back focusing. The D800 because of it's greater resolution will show focus errors more.

The AF system on the D800 is incredibly accurate when the proper adjustments are made. Until they are the periphery points cannot be relied upon as to whether there is a problem or not. My periphery points were 'not working' until I fine-tuned my lenses.

The AF is so accurate that after adjustments have been made it consistently produces better (at worst the same) as live view focus. As the greater resolution will reveal more AF errors, it is imperative to take the time and do the fine tuning perfectly. As the thread pointed to above discusses (you should follow that) many lenses that did not need fine tuning on other bodies need it on the D800.

Before worrying unnecessarily, please just try to get the center AF point fine tuned. It should be producing results better than (or at least as good as) live view AF so you need to take the time and do the adjustments very accurately.

After making sure that there the center AF has been accurately fine-tuned (I cannot emphasize this enough), then and only after then please check your outer points to see if you have a problem.

As you can see from the thread pointed to above - some of the adjustments that are needed are large (approaching or at the maximum possible) and Nikon will need to address this issue at some point.

All the best and my sincerest apologies if anything I have said offends anyone, none was intended.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow