Flat view
odl
odl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684
Like?
filter mini review 45mm f1.8 with polaroid vari ND
Apr 8, 2012

For anyone who is interested.

I bought a ~$30 variable ND filter from Ebay a few weeks ago as I wanted to try shooting some of my faster lenses wide open in daytime... I bought this one with the 37mm thread

So I took it for a spin today with my wife and son. I had seen a review online on youtube where it was described as basically, terrible. Thankfully I had already bought it and here is why.

It does shift the colour a bit when closed right up, however the AWB of the EPL2 seemed to cope pretty well. It does soften the detail a bit, but when shooting people that isnt a crime and it only cost $30.

It is easy to use, wide open you get the 4000 blinking at you at ISO 200, I just rotated it until I got to about 1/500 and started shooting.

It doesnt take the lens cap so be warned. I had a lot of fun with it and for $30 who cares if we loose the crispness in the hair if we really want that effect.

So here are a few real world shots, followed by a bench as we left the park. I have a shot with the ND filter off as well to show the colour difference as well as my 5min attempt to correct.

Who would this filter be good for? People who would like to shoot wide open in daylight and dont mind a bit of detail loss.

A couple of examples:

A couple more with 100% crops

A bench to judge detail loss:

This is the original:

And a 100% crop you can see the detail lost:

Colour corrected to get closer tot he Jpeg:

And shot with it off, and the lens stopped down to avoid blowing it out just for reference:

Personally, for $30 I think I have a winner

-- hide signature --

alatchinphotography.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For
knowledge is limited to all we now know and
understand, while imagination embraces the entire
world, and all there ever will be to know and
understand.” - Albert Einstein

Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow