Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Nikon's no Viewfinder budget bridge superzooms
Apr 8, 2012

As I shoot Nikon now for DSLR's I took a look at a few of their models, not for me but my son who wanted to get stuck into something a bit more than a compact.

He's only 7 so I thought a bridge type camera would be a good place to learn more and experiment, but early for a DSLR IMO.

Anyway no point splashing out much just in case of accidents, so I started to look around at various models. I did see a few GE's around but I've not used them so stayed away from that maker (they might be ok I can't say)

I've not really looked at Nikon's offerings but I looked at an L120 and surprised there is no VF at all! I would say at this price point you don't expect awesome cameras, nor amazing images, and manual modes are of limited use on these cameras. However all that was met with a Fuji S2980 at around the same price if not a little lower.

It's a shame some makers are not putting viewfinders on bridge models purely cost cutting I imagine. I won't kid you the Fuji's EVF isn't really any better than the ye old Pannie FZ-5 I had years ago for a while..they're pretty basic/crude and not very good.

But they are useful in bright light, and something is better than nothing

So Fuji it was has a VF, better on body controls, mode dial and full PASM modes he likes it as there is quite a bit to experiment with. And that's the name of the game experimentation. Shame Nikon don't really offer a non dumbed down budget bridge model, the lack of VF and mode dial was a turn off.

I'm sure the P500/P510 would be a better camera than the Fuji it should be as it's more expensive. But for budget bridge models I think Nikon have a lot of work to do

Nikon Coolpix L120 Nikon Coolpix P500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow