Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ghozer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,863Gear list
Like?
5D Mark III and in-camera HDR examples
Apr 7, 2012

Bottom line - not impressed with in-camera HDR. On the camera's LCD it looks pretty good. Looking at it on my computer at home at 100%? Not impressive. I can't see myself ever using it. But, I can see a use for small web images and small prints.

Here are some examples showing the five different styles (natural, art standard, art vivid, art bold and art embossed) along with 100% crops of standard, vivid and the raw files those two came from. This test is not designed to show anything other than sharpness of the overall in-camera processing and the different styles available. In other words, it's not a test designed to show how effective the camera is at blending exposures.

These were shot on a tripod and the focus point was not where the crop is taken from. Now, this was shot in Hawaii and the wind was blowing some so disregard the softness in the trees (because the blending will automatically create some softness there I think). Look at the cliff face in the crop. Pretty soft HDR processing. I wonder how much of that is an alignment issue? Maybe increasing the sharpness in the picture style would help. I used the Standard picture style.

http://dougoglesby.com/p660288830

The above link will take you to the gallery. Click on each image and you will get a bigger view with a caption that identifies the style.

-- hide signature --
 Ghozer's gear list:Ghozer's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow