After months of debating the clicking issue, I bought a NEX-5n...really happy :)

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Catalin Stavaru
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?
After months of debating the clicking issue, I bought a NEX-5n...really happy :)
Apr 7, 2012

Hi,

I am a former point-and-shooter previously owning a Panasonic LX-3 and a newer Canon ELPH model. I really wanted a poin-and-shoot like camera but with much better image quality, at a somewhat affordable price.

I was amazed by the image quality of the NEX-5n, but I was put down by the video clicking issue. I waited and waited for an alternative from the NEX and m43 world.

Sony failed to announce the new NEX-F3 and even so, I would have to wait a couple of months until being able to buy it.

The new Olympus E-M5 is certainly on par with the 5n as far as image quality and even low-light, but it's too expensive.

When Panasonic announced the new GF5 with a "newly developed 12Mp sensor" I thought wow, this could be what I'm looking for. It had the ideal set of features for me. But when looking at the first image samples...I immediately realized that it's the same old low dynamic range and poor noise performance. A shame, really.

In an impulse, I immediately searched and found an NEX-5n with the zoom lens in stock, and bought it. And now I have to say, I should not have spent so much time researching the perfect camera, when I could have spent the time shooting pictures...

The clicking issue is present but not nearly as bad as I thought, it only appears when tilting the camera, not when panning or shaking it up-down or left-right. I plan to send the camera for the fix.

But the image quality...is amazing ! It offsets any disadvantages that the 5n has, like the bulky lens and the clicking issue. The auto-focus speed is also pretty good, at least for my amateur usage.

So all in all, I am glad that my search is over and I can now shoot pictures instead of waiting for the perfect camera to arrive. Because the NEX-5n is damn near perfect !

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow