EM-5 set "Burst mode + IS Off to OFF"

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
A change from my E-PL3, and confusing.
In reply to Gakuranman, Apr 7, 2012

With my E-PL3 shutting down the IS gives a dramatic, instantly noticeable jump in fps from 4.1 to 5.5.

I assumed this was a similar case for the E-M5 and why they would have the "H fps + IS off" selection in the menu.

Now that I've tried it out for a few minutes, I'm not hearing any dramatic change in the frames per second. In fact, I'm not really hearing any.

This is now confusing me....what's the purpose of the IS off in burst mode selection and why is it set to on by default?

I thought it might be related to the lens because of what Oly have in their specs:

Sequential shooting speed
[Sequential shooting H mode] 9.0 fps

(in case of "I.S. Off")* Focus and exposure are fixed at the values for the first shot.
[Sequential shooting L mode] 3.5 fps / 4.2fps

• When using the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ

But I'm not hearing any differences between the 12-50mm and 17mm with the H fps+IS off set to on or off, certainly not like I here with my E-PL3.

Strange. Unless I'm missing something or just not hearing the difference between, say, 8.1 fps and 9fps.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow