Quantum flash as replacement for speedlights?

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Telefoto
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Quantum flash as replacement for speedlights?
Apr 7, 2012

I've run hard into the SB 900 overheating problem. Use flash for macro (on bracket), wildlife (on bracket), and people/action (on camera). The SB 900 can't do the job I need, over heats within an hour or 2 of what I think of as modest use (couple hundred images, not the thousands I see wedding shooters taking in a day). I like to shoot fast, as action is my main interest, but not long bursts, lots of small bursts, and the SB 900 just can't do it.

Been reading up on quantum flash like the trio. Loving the claims of never overheating, higher power, better quality more even light, lighter unit (battery not inside), etc. But, lots of money at stake, and I can't quite get a fix on how well these units integrate with standard Nikon flash tech like the SC-28 and SC-17 flash cords, full nikon TTL functionality, etc. If I buy these units, will they slide right into my existing set up easily, or will there be a lot of things they can't do without manual control, and will there be a steep learning curve? Any comments welcome.

Telefoto's gear list:Telefoto's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow