Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-S1 Final Verdict
Apr 7, 2012

I was one of the first to order the X-S1, after falling in love with the image quality of my X-100. I had high hopes from Fuji finally giving me a compact telephoto outfit with good image quality and a 600+mm reach. But after a month giving the camera every opportunity to do its job, I am done with it. The IQ and focus are utter garbage 90% of the time. The noise is distracting, and even after lightroom supporting its raw files and the latest firmware, I say my keeper rate is less than 10% with this camera. I have tried everything I can think of to get this camera to improve. I have read endless forum posts about settings to try, and getting the most out of the EXR modes. But in the end, my decision was made yesterday while birding. Just look at the images below and exif info included. There was absolutely no reason these images should have turned out this badly. I was in great light, and got close enough to my subject time and time again to lock focus, but the camera failed me big time. The part that bothers me the most is that they look in focus in the viewfinder and my IS and shutter speed should be giving me the results I need, but when I review the images, they are a nightmare.

Sick and disgusted with this camera, and will be selling it to go back to the drawing board to get myself a useful birding kit.

Too bad, because the X-100 is a great camera, and I will likely be buying the X-Pro1, but the X-S1 is a disgrace to the X line from Fuji.

Am I wrong in thinking this camera should be giving us more?

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow