new lens or teleconverter

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 11,141Gear list
Like?
Re: new lens or teleconverter
In reply to stu1991, Apr 7, 2012

stu1991 wrote:

i am currently using a canon d1100 with a tamron 70-300mm lens, i want to take landscape shots with better zoom but im torn between getting a tamron 18-270mm (with 15x zoom) or going with the cheaper option of getting a teleconverter.

I think you got this seriously wrong. The 18-270 in the tele area is seriously worse than your 70-300. First of all it has less reach (the 15x zoom only says something about the overambitious lens desing which is in fact rubbish) and then it's optically pure junk.

A teleconverter will allow enlarging the focal length optically - thus you would be converting your 300mm to 460mm or 600mm with the respective teleconverter. The problem about that is that the lens isn't good enough nor fast enough (in terms of aperture) to warrant the use of a teleconverter.

For landscape shots - which usually require a wider angle lens - you should get a new lens to complement your existing one, such as the EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS II or the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - just as examples for the type of lens...

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow