Gear for Africa trip? Need advice

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,754Gear list
Like?
Re: Gear for Africa trip? Need advice
In reply to Wingnut4me, Apr 7, 2012

Wingnut4me wrote:

I did the very same trip a few years ago. Those Southern Right Whales are amazing. Over the years I've done few safaris, been to India, Costa Rica etc.....and I've now reached the point of not wanting to carry around an SLR and various lenses any more. Its a hassle for me and distracts from the viewing experience. Like other contributors say above I've just bought a P510 and intend taking this as my only camera to India later next week. I've been having fun with it, enjoying that 42x zoom and have great sense of relief regarding not having to contemplate hauling a complete system of camera and lenses around. I'm not a professional photographer and have come to the conclusion that the extra quality capability of a SLR system is not worth the hassle and a good bridge camera like the P510 does produce some great shot if you accept the compromises and is a lot of fun to use.

I absolutely agree, for non pro use, bridge cameras and compacts are so good now that they cover most requirements. Only when the light falls, do they noticeably suffer compared to DSLR's when viewed at typical screen or web sizes or when printed up to say A4.

I am starting to look at small tripod options to extend the range of my compact and bridge cameras in lower light so that I can keep the cameras set at ISO 100, which is the key to maximising their IQ.

-- hide signature --

S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow