>>>> Street Photography eXchange #9 <<<<

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ihtisham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911
Like?
Re: Mango Vendor
In reply to fad, Apr 7, 2012

Frank, I find it incredibly difficult to shoot candids of several people together where each one's face is showing prominently. It is just had to time it so that they all have meaningful (or, more importantly, aligned to the goal of your photo) expressions.

A lot going on. The vendor's expression is great. The older child and the second woman's expressions are reasonable. But I am looking at the child for some sparkle. Or a surprise, or something of interest. Perhaps because she is the odd one out, perhaps because she is a child, or I want to see how she likes the mango. Her face is turned away.

My approach in this kind of situation is not to try for all 3 or 4 faces to show expressions, but perhaps turn one or two of those people into props. Eg, I would go towards the right, bend and frame the child through the legs of the other two. But I understand there are limitations of doing SP in NY streets that might preclude you.

Again, there is a lot going on in this photo. Mango is foreign to NY. Here are two groups of migrants, Latino looking vendor and Asian looking customers - says a lot about melting pot etc.

Ihtisham

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow