Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drwho9437
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
Dissenting opinion: no more MP
Apr 7, 2012

Although it is always useful to have more MP if you can have them without making other compromises in sensor design, I for one don't have any need for more MP.

I would welcome a focus on something other than the MP race, and I find it disturbing that is all most people seem to care about here.

The number of lenses that max out a 5D mkII sensor in real world situations is actually quiet small, and of those lenses the apertures where this matching occurs is typically only perhaps f4-f8.

One of the reasons to shoot FF in my opinion is to shoot at wide open with lenses like the 85 mm f1.2.

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/502-canon_85f12ff?start=1

You know what it won't really get any better wide open if you improve the sensor...

A better solution than using an AA filter would be a much better invention than more MP. Ways of achieving massive DR using multiple electronic exposures (with a single press of the "shutter") would be a big deal (IE say 7 stops per exposure * 3 shots all in 1/1000). A camera that could do that would basically negate the need for metering because you could move the exposure anywhere without noise.

Full color resolution. Foveon is one way to do it, but there are others...

Shutters with flash sync at any speed.

There are so many things more important than MP at this point... But then again I am happy living in sub 15 MP land myself, where my glass works pretty well across the board.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbryce/

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow