Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vorda
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
P-TTL on K5
Apr 6, 2012

I enjoy using strobe lighting so I use speedlights as often as I can. By this I mean: umbrellas, stands, triggers, softboxes, gels and manual flashes.

But sometimes I find myself in situation where "quality" of the picture is not so important as taking a picture in the first place. Like today, when we were celebrating my sons birthday and I wanted to create some memories, not excellent pictures. For situations like that and other situations when one is not in the position to set up the lighting I used to use AF 540 and P-TTL.

Well, I am noticing, now and than, that people are complaining about P-TTL, but I used to use it only on my K10 and I had no issues with it. Although, I own K5 for almost a year now, today was the first time I tried the combo AF 540 + K5 in P-TTL.

And the problem is - it does not work! It heavily overexposes images. Sure, I can maually decrease the power output on the flash, but that is not the point of having TTL. If I move in the room, I get different lightning and I have to recalibrate it again. Almost like having a manual flash. And as I said, I used to use it on K10 and it always worked.

Is there something special to know about K5 and P-TTL (although I can not imagine what that would be)? If somebody knows, please help.

Vorda's gear list:Vorda's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +9 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow