Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Spatafora
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
DR In the Whites
Apr 6, 2012

We spend too much time dwelling about pulling detail out of the shadows. These cameras are well known for recovering data in the shadows. However, these cameras fails when working with the whites in the 240-255 range. If you don't shoot it just right, you'll never pull out any details in the whites. The usual practice it to under expose the whites but then everything looks grey or not to use fill flash. A good example is a white wedding dress and a black tuxedo using fill flash to nullify any shadows. As a wedding photographer, I spend most of my time extracting detail in the white dress and never really worry about the tux. I have found that the D700 is truly a fantastic camera for every color except white. I'm really hoping that the D800 can solve this problem.

Has anyone photographed a wedding with the D800 in various lighting conditions to see how it behaves compared to the D700? I'm really interested in an over exposed RAW shot where I can pull back the detail in the whites yet maintaining the look of the tux. So far I have yet to see any such example. We have plenty of examples of pulling detail out of dark caves but we have none of recovering of beads in white dresses without underexposing the rest of the image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow