Has anyone ever experienced lens break-in?

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
fauxtog
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Definately!
In reply to mothman13, Apr 5, 2012

mothman13, was your post below a mis-fire, or did you actually intend to post that for this particular discussion? If the latter, what's your point?

mothman13 wrote:

Definately. About a year ago some guy broke into my home and tried to steal my lenses. I clubbed him over the head with my 300mm F/4. I took 42 pictures with my 35mm F/2, but the edges were all pretty soft so I switched to my 85mm F/1.8. 18 of 24 shots were really sharp, but the contrast wasn't that great with the combination of incandescent and flash lighting. I tried playing with the different modes in my D300, but ended up back at Neutral. Switched to my Sigma 150mm Macro, but didn't think 27 shots at 1:1 of the guy's eyebrow would help with identification. Went to my 12-24 Tokina, but it seemed like all 33 of the closeups were just too distorted AND they were soft in the corners.

While checking out all the shots on my computer, the guy came to and got away. The police were a little angry that I'd deleted all those inferior shots before they arrived and had none to give them. I think what really set them off was that I was concentrating so much on the composition, lighting and sharpness that I never really paid attention to what the guy looked like.

Since then I've picked up a couple studio lights with soft boxes and a 70-200mm VR II, so if he ever comes back I'll be ready for him!

-- hide signature --
 fauxtog's gear list:fauxtog's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow