Japanese Pro Test G1X vs G11 - Does it worth extra $$$ ???

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nudibranco
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: @ Nudibranco:
In reply to nolten, Apr 5, 2012

nolten wrote:

Some interesting concepts here. So Canon is somehow being dishonest by hiding a large sensor in a compact camera?

Actually they are advertising big time the new sensor and that is good as they are bringing DSLR quality to a quasi-compact sized camera.

I really meant that their naming is questionable and market segment is just luring people think they can use the G1X as an evolution of the G series. I basically disagree with that because using the G1X will have people expect the same versatility of a G series camera with their smaller sensor. That is not possible since the G1X is a totally different camera in G clothing. It has much better image quality but it is bigger, heavier ,with no close focusing ability, much less DOF, low flash Hi-synch etc.

It is a bigger sensor camera like a DSLR. DSLR customers will notice this and use the camera to its best without surprises and truly appreciating the size vs. their DSLRs. But CANON is after the bigger segment of the earlier G type cameras. Those customers (and I know lots of them) will be somewhat surprised negatively by less versatility they were used to. That is why I say it would have been more honest if they just created the bridge segment ... a compact sized dslr....and did not call it the G series successor.

I do not own the camera and if it wasn't that I mainly shoot underwater I would have bought it. But there is not an easy way to do MACRO underwater in its current specs.

For underwater it would be the holy grail to have to bigger sensor quality and be able to do MACRO and WIDE ANGLE on the same dive in a compact-er size than a DSLR. Currently there is not a solution yet but sooner or later there will be (with addon wet lenses).

A compact camera like the s95/G12 will be hardly indistinguishable in quality at MACRO underwater shooting with a strobe vs. the G1X. But those compact cameras will not give the same punch in mid range shooting like the nice ones seen at the top of the thread. And the G1x will not do MACRO so my quest for the holy grail underwater is still on !

Nudibranco's gear list:Nudibranco's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow