Interchangeability of quick-release plates?

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris J Newman
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Interchangeability of quick-release plates?
Apr 5, 2012

Hi,

My first tripod was a Benbo Trekker, chosen for its versatility for macro pictures of flowers, etc. It came with a ball head complete with tripod screw.

Subsequently I received a gift of a Velbon CX 440, a lightweight budget tripod with integral pan and tilt head.

With both of these tripods, I had difficulty trying to use my venerable Pentax Super A in portrait mode, as the weight of the lens tended to rotate the camera on the platform of the head. The Velbon has a quick-release plate, and I noticed a spring pin designed to locate in the camera. I assumed that when I eventually bought a DSLR, it would have a locating socket for the pin, but my D90 does not, and I have since heard that the pins are only for video cameras. I wonder why stills camera manufacturers deny us the benefit of the pin system?

This year I took advantage of the sale season to buy a Sigma 150-500mm telephoto lens. During the cold, snowy spell that followed, a flock of redwings and fieldfares came to eat the berries on our pyracantha, and I set up the lens on a tripod to photo the birds through the living room window. But I found that the ball head on my Trekker was very cumbersome for aiming a 500 mm lens carefully enough to place the focal point on a bird’s head. The pan and tilt head seemed to be right in principle, but with the lightweight Velbon, as soon as I released the locking handle the lens would droop below the target. (The lens and camera combination also exceed the rated capacity of the Velbon, but I was not concerned about that, as the Sigma has a tripod collar, and is pretty well balanced.) So I decided I needed a better quality pan and tilt head to use on my Trekker.

I bought a Giotto’s MH5001 3-way head. I thought its quick-release plate might be interchangeable with that of my Velbon tripod, in the same way that tripod screw threads are standardized. I was considering drilling a hole in the foot of the tripod collar of my Giotto’s MH642 quick-release plate, until I noticed that whereas the Velbon quick-release plate had its tripod screw and spring pin arranged along the lens axis, on the Giotto’s MH642 quick-release plate the spring pin is beside the tripod screw, aligned with the sensor plane. The Giotto’s MH642 quick-release plate is also larger, and its wedge-shaped sides that clamp it to the tripod head are positioned at the front and back, whilst the Velbon quick release plate has the wedge-shaped sides to each side of the tripod thread. (I think the Giotto’s arrangement, clamping front-to-back, is probably more robust.)

The Giotto’s MH642 quick-release plate has a transverse slot rather than a simple circular hole for the camera screw. I appreciate that the ability to mount the camera and lens off-axis might be useful in some circumstances, but for me the slot only makes it more of a fiddle to mount the quick-release plate centrally. In fact, currently I need to mount is slightly off-centre, or the tripod screw fouls the spring for the video pin (but I think I could remove that).

Is anyone aware of a quick-release plate with a simple round hole for the camera screw that I could substitute for the MH642 on the Giotto’s MH5001 3-way head? The MH642 measures 47.3 mm across its wedges, and 50 mm across its square sides.

With thanks in advance,
Chris Newman

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow