More Than A Bit Confused Over PC Specs. HELP!!

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BPB
BPB
Contributing MemberPosts: 585
Like?
More Than A Bit Confused Over PC Specs. HELP!!
Apr 5, 2012

OK, here goes.

At the risk of sounding like an absolute "numpty" can some of you technical wizards provide some guidance.

It is time for a new PC. Assuming Windows based.

My quandary lies in understanding which CPU and Graphics Card will give the best performance in dealing with the larger file sizes, Still and Video, of cameras like the Nikon D800.

From researching various websites I am beginning to believe that for 2D and DSLR Vidio file handling, the use of a CPU such as an Intel Xenon Quad Core E3-1230 or 1240 type teamed up with a PNY Quadro (2000 or 4000 model) Grapics Card will give better (faster) performance than using the Intel i5/i7 Series CPU's (2600/2700) teamed up with Nvidia or GeForce "Gaming" Graphics Cards.

Assuming 16GB or 32GB of decent ram can somebody please tell me if I have got this right or if I am being a complete idiot.

Also i have come across lots of references regarding PNY Quadro Cards, referring to CUDA and that this makes compatible software run extremely fast.

Does anybody know if programs such as Nikon Capture NX2 or Serif PhotoPlus X5 can access and make use of these CUDA whatever????

I really appreciate any help and guidance with this as I am totally confused as to what type of PC to buy for photo and video editing and just how much I need to spend.

Thanks,

Bryan (BPB)

Nikon D800 Olympus E-3 Pentax X-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow