Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Canon 7D and 70-300L, anything else?
Apr 5, 2012

After much thought in the past months I have decided to give nature and wildlife photography a go. I’m serious about learning and will start with buying the Canon 70-300L for my 7D. The question is, what else should I consider?

I’ve already picked up a good tip on using the rear AF-on button for Ai Servo, which will take some getting used to, but does seem to work very well. I will also read up on AF tracking and various settings to get the most out of the 7D.

The 70-300L doesn’t come with a tripod collar and my tripod has only a very basic ball head. Should I consider getting the collar and a new ball head? Or is the 70-300L easy enough to handhold for now?

Would a battery grip add anything in terms of balance?

Anything else that could be practical?

I do a lot of running and have already scouted some nice areas where birds are frequent, there should be some deer nearby as well, and possibly foxes a little further. There isn’t that much wildlife over here in the Netherlands, but I’m quite lucky to have a few good locations near to home. That also means that for the time being I don’t need to travel too much and can limit myself to the basics. Which is good, as the 70-300L will be quite a big investment already.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow