Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,838Gear list
Like?
Canon 7D and 70-300L, anything else?
Apr 5, 2012

After much thought in the past months I have decided to give nature and wildlife photography a go. I’m serious about learning and will start with buying the Canon 70-300L for my 7D. The question is, what else should I consider?

I’ve already picked up a good tip on using the rear AF-on button for Ai Servo, which will take some getting used to, but does seem to work very well. I will also read up on AF tracking and various settings to get the most out of the 7D.

The 70-300L doesn’t come with a tripod collar and my tripod has only a very basic ball head. Should I consider getting the collar and a new ball head? Or is the 70-300L easy enough to handhold for now?

Would a battery grip add anything in terms of balance?

Anything else that could be practical?

I do a lot of running and have already scouted some nice areas where birds are frequent, there should be some deer nearby as well, and possibly foxes a little further. There isn’t that much wildlife over here in the Netherlands, but I’m quite lucky to have a few good locations near to home. That also means that for the time being I don’t need to travel too much and can limit myself to the basics. Which is good, as the 70-300L will be quite a big investment already.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow