G1X - Benefits of a Circular Polarizer (PICS)

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,043Gear list
Like?
G1X - Benefits of a Circular Polarizer (PICS)
Apr 5, 2012

One of the lesser known/used benefits of a Circular Polarizer is that it can be used to remove partial or entire reflections from glass under certain circumstances. I took this picture handheld with the polarizer held with just my fingers because my filter mount hadn't arrived just yet.

G1X + Circular Polarizer (on/off)

A major benefit of the ability to fit filters to your compact Digital Camera is the ability to apply a Circular Polarizer to it to enhance certain types of shots. Now I took all of these pictures for my own curiosity but I thought others might find them interesting. people used to DSLRs will probably be more than familiar with the contents of this thread so I'll apologize in advance in case anyone finds it boring.

These pictures were taken yesterday and have only been re-sized. No noise-reduction or post processing editing was used other than compositing the images together and reducing them.

Pic above taken with the s95 - check out the results below from the G1X

Pic above taken with the G1X - no filter - looks just like the one from the s95!

Pic above taken with the G1X + Circular Polarizer

I thought that s95 and s100 users might appreciate a comparison here. The s95 took a picture that sure looks comparable when reduced. In fact, if I had to choose which camera was used to create the first two pictures, I wouldn't be able to tell you. They look pretty much the same.

But the bottom one with the Circular Polarizer is really bold due to the deepened colors and hues. This is a major benefit of being able to use a polarizer on your camera. Note though that you can achieve similar results with any other compact camera simply by holding the filter in place. Still, it's much easier with a filter mount because you have to rotate the outer lens element of the Polarizer to get the full benefits.

Some very surprising results from the balcony of my parents home near the sea. Some warming effects and a boldening of the skies and cloud definition.

It's easy to see why people like to use these filters to create Vacation Brochures. Much warmer, more saturated colors and deeper skies.

Just as the Circular Polarizer can remove the reflections from glass, it can also remove the reflections from the surface of water. Hence the usefulness when shooting tropical water environments (or the lakes of North Canada!). In this instance, I based my entire day about getting a couple of pictures of this shallow bay at low tide when the water was shallower and the sun was behind me to maximize the effect.

You wouldn't use this filter indoors or on a cloudy day because it will increase the shadows of the image and may darken them aggressively. But on a sunny day, you can get some terrific results.

(G1X + Circular Polarizer used for this picture)
My parent's house by the sea where I took some of these experimental pictures.

After four months of solid rain, I was particularly happy that it had stopped!

• (G1X + Circular Polarizer used for this picture)

Taken in very hard wind (the flower was deforming from the sea "breeze") so I had to use a higher shutter speed. Note the rich color saturation in the leaves.

• (G1X + Circular Polarizer used for this picture)

The view from the balcony.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow