Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoboken Michelle
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
RE: Looking for your opinion...comfort with accessories in a group environment
Apr 5, 2012

I have one general question (with a couple sub-questions) that simply asks for your comfort level/opinion in the following generic situation.

I have been and still am a member of many groups on http://www.meetup.com . I do a lot of activities and have taken pictures of acquaintances and newbies at group dinners at restaurants, as well as (without flash and accessories) on outings and hikes. I post the pictures afterward in the "photo" section of the meetup group so that people in the group can see what they have missed or what they engaged in.

I own a Canon G12. If you were me and brought that camera along to dinners at restaurants AND MAYBE meetup house parties (games, cocktails, etc.) how comfortable would you be in having desirable flash accessories with the camera? In other words, using a small external flash AND/OR a flash bounce/diffuser kit (Demb, Lumiquest products) AND/OR a small flashbender to target light and reduce the light effects?

Would you feel silly bringing that stuff there and having people seeing you using them even though it will potentially enhance lighting on their faces tremendously? If you used the Flashbender as a snoot or flag, would it attract way too much attention or would people appreciate minimizing the pre-flash and flash lighting effect?

P.S. So far, have taken pics with G12 built-in flash at dinners but have a curiosity about buying a 320EX external flash with accessories to improve my lighting.

Thanks everyone,
Michelle M.

Hoboken Michelle's gear list:Hoboken Michelle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow