Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tarakanchik
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Hey, what do you think of this picture?
Apr 5, 2012

So, I'm sure everyone is sick of people complaining about how poorly their picture did in a challenge so if you're particularly sick of the topic, feel free to pass this post by.

Basically, I'm looking for people's opinion on the following photo:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=599938

There aren't enough of those "Why for goodness sake..." challenges so I figured I just ask.

You can speak to it either in context with the "Fruits" challenge or just about the photo on its own. Whatever you have to say, really, is interesting to me. It can range from "this picture sucks" to "I'm allergic to blackberries and lens caps so I low graded this photo", anything goes, though constructive comments will be especially appreciated.

I love this picture as I put a lot of work into it and ended up with the composition I was looking for - colorful and original (or if not original, unusual). But clearly others didn't like it, so I would like to learn what people prefer (photography is just a hobby for me and I mostly do it for myself, but it would be nice to make pictures that I AND others appreciate).

As to the challenge itself, there're some good pictures but also some that I found dull (colorwise and compositionwise), unimaginative and, frankly, boring (some definite snapshots). This is a matter of taste though so I have no problems with the voters. When entering this challenge, I was specifically trying to avoid the cliche (in my opinion) photos of collection of fruits (be it on a table or in a basket) with a black negative space around it. In this small participation challenge alone there were 20-25% using this technique... The pictures are nice, yes, but originality isn't there... Anyway, forget the other pictures, I guess, just let me know what you think of this one.

If you feel compelled to just call me a sore loser etc, it's fine. But... I've placed far worse in many challenges so I had plenty of opportunities to b!tch and moan, if that's what I were looking for.

Thanks in advance for spending some time helping me out!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow