Is the HS30EXR suitable for astrophotography?

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,620Gear list
Like?
Re: Which low cost camera is suitable for astrophotography?
In reply to Billx08, Apr 5, 2012

Bill, I believe you are right about the 1 minute bulb mode, but the only problem with that was there was no dark frame subtraction with the CP990 so you had to put up with a great deal of noise. The CP4500 rectified this problem and extended bulb mode to 5 minutes and it was just as great as its predecessors for afocal astrophotography, especially if you had one of the customized eyepieces from Scopetronix (now defunct), but it had the problem of a proprietary Lithium battery.

The sturdy Olympus C-7070 I have can do 2 min bulb exposures and has low noise all the way to ISO 400, something I would never have used with the older Coolpixes. Your C-8080 should be able to also. They both use the tanklike BLM-01 battery, which Olympus also uses in its DSLR line, so I dont see that being discontinued. But if that does ever happen, I have an AC adapter for it handy. It's also really good for afocal astrophotography, as eyepieces made from Ageena match it well.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow