Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
D700 vs D800 question for mostly sports & low light use
Apr 4, 2012

I just bought a D700 and am trying to decide if I should return it and go with the 800. Not for professional use, just pictures of my kids in their various activities. Those include, drama, dance, gymnastics and soccer. For the first three, I think the 700 is probably great choice. I realistically shouldn't need more than 12mp in those situations, the high fps (assuming I pick up a grip) is attractive and I expect to be happy with the low light performance. I'm worried about Soccer though as I'm moving from a APS-C camera and cant afford to go up to the size lens that I really should have for a FF camera and that size field. With the 800 I could use the crop mode and probably get away with something like a 70-200 with 1.4tc pretty well. I am somewhat worried about dealing with the file sizes when I'm not using the crop mode. I somewhat regularly print A3+ but that's about it -- rare that I'd need the resulution of the 36mp.

I'm coming from a Sony A700 which had 5fps and, while more would sometimes have been better, that was rarely an issue.

All else being equal, the $800 difference is a deal breaker but it's material. The grip price on the 800 makes it worse if I'd have to go with that.

I realize no one can tell me what's worth it to me but looking for opinions. I do still have the Sony (which I will probably sell to partially fund this) so waiting a bit longer isn't a huge issue. (though, having the 700 sitting here makes waiting more painful than when I was just thinking about upgrading)

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow