5DM3 ordered 3-12 from Amazon arrives tomorrow but I have some concerns.

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
5DM3 ordered 3-12 from Amazon arrives tomorrow but I have some concerns.
Apr 4, 2012

I currently have a 7D with the 70-200 IS F4, 24-105L, Speedlight 430 . I have been wanting to go full frame for awhile now. The 5D was supposed to be shipped in May but now its already shipped. I wonder if the demand for the D800 so high that many have canceled their 5D orders and bumped me up.

I have been reading user opinions on both bodies and it seems they are both great cameras but many agree Canon dropped the ball on features a bit and charged more for less. I have been reading nothing but great things about the AF on the Canon. AF is very important to me. although the 7D has good AF I just feel I could not get as many keepers is when I had the Nikon D300 previously. I always used one point autofocus. Any way I am also a little bugged by the lack of flash for fill and remote firing but I guess if I get into studio photography i will buy another flash anyway

I think the 5DM3 improves on an already awesome 5DM2 but my concern is I may have buyers remorse over the D800. If I did switch to the D800 I could go with the 24-120 f4 and SB-700 and after selling all my Canon gear still save a decent chunk of change at the loss of not having a 70-200. I can always buy lens later but I feel the 24-120 will keep me busy for awhile.

I do not specialize in any particular area. I like shooting buildings, objects, animals, airshows (once in awhile), landscapes, statues, occasional people, flowers, travel etc.

I guess the only way to know for sure which one works for me is to try them both out. At least i can get an idea of how much of a difference it is over the 7D. Hopefully the D800 will arrive before the 30day return on the Canon is up.

Don't get me wrong the 5DM3 is an awesome camera but I am worried the D800 may be a better overall cam for me.

Thoughts.

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow