Coolpix P510 GPS performance

Started Mar 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
GregCr
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Coolpix P510 GPS performance
In reply to Augustin Man, Apr 4, 2012

I did another quick test today. I am about 100 miles from where I last had a GPS lock on my P510 so I thought it would be interesting. Here's my test:

• Turn on camera and enable GPS. Took about 1.5 minutes for the GPS icon to turn from Red to White and the reception indicator showed 2 bars. Took a picture. The position recorded to the jpeg was over 300 feet off.

-Wait another 1 minutes and the reception indicator shows 3 bars. Another picture. Same as first picture (over 300 feet off)
-Wait another minute, now about 250 feet.
-Wait another minute, now about 150 feet.
-Another minute, about 20 feet off.

So it took me about 5 minutes to get an good result.

-Turned off the camera and walked about 500 feet.

-Turned on the camera and it took about 8 to 10 seconds for the red gps icon to turn white and show 3 bars. Took a picture and it must have been within 5 feet of my actual position.

-Turned off the camera and walked back to my start. Turned on the camera and took a picture immediately (gps icon still red). No GPS data recorded.

So my early comment that it only took about a second when camera is turned on wasn't quite right. Looks like it's closer to 8 to 10 seconds. I'll test this more later this weekend but thought I'd pass along my initial results.

Greg

GregCr's gear list:GregCr's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow