Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AdventureRob
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Amateur photographer magazine review E-M5
Apr 4, 2012

I've read enough reviews, but this magazine was offering a free Olympus portable window light diffuser, so how could I resist? ;-): http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/magazine/current.php

Anyway while I don't know the percentage, this magazine rated the NEX-7 the compact system camera of the year last year. It's a weekly UK magazine and has been going the longest out of all photography magazines here.

I won't post the article as it's probably against copyright, but here are the ratings given:

Features: 8/10
Build and Handling: 9/10
White balance and colours: 9/10
Metering: 8/10
Autofocus: 8/10
Dynamic range: 7/10
Noise, sensitivity and resolution: 27/30
LCD, viewfinder and video: 9/10
Overall: 85%

They found it quite similar to the G3 in terms of performance and dynamic range, they did say they were half guessing this though (!) and no official figures been given by Olympus. Autofocus was rated down because there is no phase detection ala Nikon 1.

Everything else they generally praised. They said it was good value (I'm surprised price isn't part of their review) especially baring in mine the EVF is an expensive accessory if you're a PEN user and want it.

The overall conclusion is for the utmost in image quality, you'd be better off with something else (I think they were hinting at the X Pro 1 (reviewed last month - I don't know score) and NEX-7. But then said for it's class of camera (micro-4/3) it is as good as it gets right now.

I must say there were a few errors though, they kept saying LCD but I thought the E-M5 was OLED? They also referred to a wrong page on accessories used (the battery grip). Of which they said they don't usually recommend accessories like this, but the ELD-6 is outstanding and really improves the camera handling. They also never mentioned the live bulb mode. I personally think this is a great and unique feature and all reviews should mention it.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow